Every year the Goodwood Festival of Speed creates an impressive centrepiece for its Central Feature. 2014 is no exception and sees Gerry Judah create an enormous sculpture to celebrate of 120 years of motorsport participation by Mercedes-Benz.
The sculpture soars 26 metres over Goodwood House, weighing 160 tonnes and measuring 90 metres in length. Two cars spanning 80 years form an integral part of the sculpture – a replica of the 1934 Mercedes-Benz W 25 Silver Arrow of the kind raced by Manfred von Brauchitsch to victory at the Nurburgring Nordschleife and a MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS F1 W04, the same chassis raced by Lewis Hamilton in 15 Grand Prix in 2013.
The unveiling was accompanied by a spectacular evening fireworks show and a fleet of Mercedes-Benz road and race cars making a dramatic run up the Goodwood Hill.